Skip to main content

In Thailand with new Friends

The pic above is a few of us Business as Mission students enjoying our first dinner together. I am quite impressed and astounded at the variety of backgrounds of the students attending this course from pastors who support their church by selling fish in Cameroon to retired commercial real estate brokers looking for their next move. Kyung-min the guy on left is trying to convince me to go to b-school with him in the Fall at Michigan. He just finished 4 years in the automotive industry.

I apologize for not sending an update sooner. While sitting in the airport in Bangkok, I learned that I was not accepted to Stanford business school, so now I have been scurrying to get apps out for other b-schools that have a strong social enterprise community. That's quite frustrating since it has taken away time to spend connecting with people as much as I want. Pray for grace on that.

Also I want to say Thank You to my financial and prayer supporters for helping me get here. So far I've raised $1,025 for this course. Thank you!. I still have about $3975 to go. If you would like to contribute more:
To donate online: Donate via Paypal.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=darian%2ehickman%40villagethegame%2ecom&item_name=Send%20Darian%20to%20Thailand&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&lc=US&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

For tax-deductible donations: Mail a check made payable to “PIHOP” to
PIHOP
1401 N. Lake Ave,
Pasadena 91104.
For accounting purposes, put 'Thailand' in the memo, not my name.

Updated Prayer Request: Pray for clear communication. Apparently one of the gods worshipped here is a god of communication and the staff have noticed that since they've been here they have experienced major miscommunications.

I look forward to sharing how God is using this time here in Thailand to make me more useful for Him in the marketplace. Off to lunch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netsquared likes Village and I'm in LA now.

On March 13th, Village the Game received a great response from the NetSquared NetTuesday meeting in San Francisco. It's really encouraging to meet so many people who want to help Village succeed. Now I'm off to LA to work with buddies in "the industry" for creating some promo videos for Village the Game. Most recent epiphany I've had: Sharing the vision of Village is a lot more effective in a visual format rather than as a casual conversation at a bar. :) If you're in LA let me know. I'd love to catch up.

Physics Moment: how many zoom levels does the Universe require?

I made a quick table of reference lengths in meters to figure out if I ever made a data visualization tool for the entire universe, how many zoom levels would it have to support? One zoom level is one power of ten.  reference length power is there anything meaningful that's smaller than planck length? planck length 1.62E-35 meters nanometer 1.00E-09 meter 1.00E+00 kilometer 1.00E+03 light year 9.46E+15 meter diameter of known universe 4.40E+26 So the total zoom levels of the Entire Universe are: 61.00 61 zoom levels is way more than Farmville or Warcraft So 61 zoom levels. How do these zoom levels compare to the Big Data Explosion.   reference quantity of data bytes bit 1.25E-01 1 or 0 and that's it. byte 1.00E+00 base unit for most data types in programming languages kb 1.00E+03 Starting number for web optimized images and javascript libraries mb 1.00E+06 Starting number for a song gigabytes GB 1.00E+09 This is base unit of $10 USB sticks terab...