Skip to main content

2007 was painful. 2008 is prayerful.

2007 was painful. Managing a remote team all in separate locations was painful. Running out of money to spend on Village was painful. Watching my condo sit empty for months and burn through my savings was painful. Falling in love with a girl dating another guy was really painful. On the other hand getting to know the social entrepreneurs at the Reuters Digital Vision Program at Stanford was wonderful. Connecting more with my roommates, and friends who have been helping me with Village has all been great. But, except for some new and stronger relationships with friends, 2007 was pretty painful.

Through all this pain, though, I learned a great deal about management and relationships. Regarding management you can summarize the lesson as don't let ambition and impatience compel you to skip steps. But more importantly, I learned a key thing about relationships: stay focused on what is right, and what is going well. As Tom Rath explains, it fills other peoples' emotional buckets (he wrote "How Full is Your Bucket?'). I really felt this lesson during the last week of August when I volunteered for a foster kid's camp. Our mandate was to catch kids doing things right. It was a beautiful moving experience for me. I think the kids enjoyed it too.

And then there was the girl. She personified this lesson while we had a chance to hang out in November. Just being around her kindness and generosity made me more thoughtful of others without really trying. Maybe that's why I felt so strongly about her. Positive people are contagious. I think that was the theme of basically what God wanted to teach me in 2007. Fill buckets, notice and celebrate what is going right. Pray that the lesson sticks in 2008.

2008 is starting off with a new theme: Take more decisions to God in prayer. This year is starting off with a great trend of more prayer time with my roommates and more clarity and confidence about decisions. I'm not going to predict a lot of milestones for Village. Instead, I'm going to follow the advice of more seasoned producers and entrepreneurs while pursuing more achievable short term goals. Beyond tomorrow, the only thing I'm relatively certain about is business school starting in the Fall. I find out Jan 24th if Stanford accepted me. I made a lot of great friends while I was living up there last winter so I'm really hoping to go ther

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netsquared likes Village and I'm in LA now.

On March 13th, Village the Game received a great response from the NetSquared NetTuesday meeting in San Francisco. It's really encouraging to meet so many people who want to help Village succeed. Now I'm off to LA to work with buddies in "the industry" for creating some promo videos for Village the Game. Most recent epiphany I've had: Sharing the vision of Village is a lot more effective in a visual format rather than as a casual conversation at a bar. :) If you're in LA let me know. I'd love to catch up.

Physics Moment: how many zoom levels does the Universe require?

I made a quick table of reference lengths in meters to figure out if I ever made a data visualization tool for the entire universe, how many zoom levels would it have to support? One zoom level is one power of ten.  reference length power is there anything meaningful that's smaller than planck length? planck length 1.62E-35 meters nanometer 1.00E-09 meter 1.00E+00 kilometer 1.00E+03 light year 9.46E+15 meter diameter of known universe 4.40E+26 So the total zoom levels of the Entire Universe are: 61.00 61 zoom levels is way more than Farmville or Warcraft So 61 zoom levels. How do these zoom levels compare to the Big Data Explosion.   reference quantity of data bytes bit 1.25E-01 1 or 0 and that's it. byte 1.00E+00 base unit for most data types in programming languages kb 1.00E+03 Starting number for web optimized images and javascript libraries mb 1.00E+06 Starting number for a song gigabytes GB 1.00E+09 This is base unit of $10 USB sticks terab...