Skip to main content

Total Cost of Ownership for Cars

I created a spreadsheet to compare the total cost of ownership between different cars.

To view, download, and edit the spreadsheet at Google Spreadsheets: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pCRoTBbGNNnWWlB6TDkmQDw

It basically concludes that hybrids still aren't worth the price. But at least it's still a good statement. Just an expensive statement.












TCO Summary2006 PriusCivic HybridTDICivic LXHonda Fit99 Ford Escort2003 Jetta2004 PriusSalv 2004 Civic 35k

Base price$26,000.00$22,000.00$16,091.00$17,000.00$15,700.00$5,000.00$8,000.00$22,988.00$9,555.00

Sales Tax$2,145.00$1,815.00$1,327.51$1,402.50$1,295.25$412.50$660.00$1,896.51$788.29

Tax + Base$28,145.00$23,815.00$17,418.51$18,402.50$16,995.25$5,412.50$8,660.00$24,884.51$10,343.29

Annual fuel cost$1,764.71$2,250.00$2,045.45$2,571.43$2,727.27$3,103.45$3,103.45$1,764.71$2,812.50

Monthly insurance$60.00$60.00$60.00$60.00$60.00$60.00$60.00$60.00$60.00

Monthly loan payment*$484.72$410.15$299.98$316.93$292.70$93.22$149.14$428.57$178.13

Monthly fuel cost$147.06$187.50$170.45$214.29$227.27$258.62$258.62$147.06$234.38

Total Monthly$691.78$657.65$530.44$591.22$579.97$411.84$467.76$635.62$472.51












Loan variables









Interest rate4.50%4.50%4.50%4.50%4.50%4.50%4.50%4.50%4.50%

Loan period in years555555555

# payments per year121212121212121212












Fuel Variables









$USD/gallon$4.50$4.50$4.50$4.50$4.50$4.50$4.50$4.50$4.50

Miles/year20000.0020000.0020000.0020000.0020000.0020000.0020000.0020000.0020000.00

Miles/gallon51.0040.0044.0035.0033.0029.0029.0051.0032.00

























Tax Variables











Sales tax rate8.25%8.25%8.25%8.25%8.25%8.25%8.25%8.25%8.25%8.25%8.25%














Insurance Variables












































































* Assumes tax is paid out of pocket and 100% of car is financed










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netsquared likes Village and I'm in LA now.

On March 13th, Village the Game received a great response from the NetSquared NetTuesday meeting in San Francisco. It's really encouraging to meet so many people who want to help Village succeed. Now I'm off to LA to work with buddies in "the industry" for creating some promo videos for Village the Game. Most recent epiphany I've had: Sharing the vision of Village is a lot more effective in a visual format rather than as a casual conversation at a bar. :) If you're in LA let me know. I'd love to catch up.

Physics Moment: how many zoom levels does the Universe require?

I made a quick table of reference lengths in meters to figure out if I ever made a data visualization tool for the entire universe, how many zoom levels would it have to support? One zoom level is one power of ten.  reference length power is there anything meaningful that's smaller than planck length? planck length 1.62E-35 meters nanometer 1.00E-09 meter 1.00E+00 kilometer 1.00E+03 light year 9.46E+15 meter diameter of known universe 4.40E+26 So the total zoom levels of the Entire Universe are: 61.00 61 zoom levels is way more than Farmville or Warcraft So 61 zoom levels. How do these zoom levels compare to the Big Data Explosion.   reference quantity of data bytes bit 1.25E-01 1 or 0 and that's it. byte 1.00E+00 base unit for most data types in programming languages kb 1.00E+03 Starting number for web optimized images and javascript libraries mb 1.00E+06 Starting number for a song gigabytes GB 1.00E+09 This is base unit of $10 USB sticks terab...