Skip to main content

Hyderabad is crowded, noisy, and mostly friendly.

Here's my view from a mini-taxi. There are no road laws in Hyderabad. Crossing a street in Hyderabad is like playing Frogger except more air pollution. I found a restaurant yesterday with food that doesn't burn holes through my intestine. Chicken Kandahar is my friend. =) Have you heard the stereotype that Indians are great at hospitality but bad tippers? It's true. The people I'm visiting with go out of their way to make me welcome, walking around with me, or fetching me coffee, or showing me to restaurants. Then after dinner at the restaurant when I pay the bill they usually take half the tip I leave and put it back in my wallet. =) Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netsquared likes Village and I'm in LA now.

On March 13th, Village the Game received a great response from the NetSquared NetTuesday meeting in San Francisco. It's really encouraging to meet so many people who want to help Village succeed. Now I'm off to LA to work with buddies in "the industry" for creating some promo videos for Village the Game. Most recent epiphany I've had: Sharing the vision of Village is a lot more effective in a visual format rather than as a casual conversation at a bar. :) If you're in LA let me know. I'd love to catch up.

Physics Moment: how many zoom levels does the Universe require?

I made a quick table of reference lengths in meters to figure out if I ever made a data visualization tool for the entire universe, how many zoom levels would it have to support? One zoom level is one power of ten.  reference length power is there anything meaningful that's smaller than planck length? planck length 1.62E-35 meters nanometer 1.00E-09 meter 1.00E+00 kilometer 1.00E+03 light year 9.46E+15 meter diameter of known universe 4.40E+26 So the total zoom levels of the Entire Universe are: 61.00 61 zoom levels is way more than Farmville or Warcraft So 61 zoom levels. How do these zoom levels compare to the Big Data Explosion.   reference quantity of data bytes bit 1.25E-01 1 or 0 and that's it. byte 1.00E+00 base unit for most data types in programming languages kb 1.00E+03 Starting number for web optimized images and javascript libraries mb 1.00E+06 Starting number for a song gigabytes GB 1.00E+09 This is base unit of $10 USB sticks terab...