Skip to main content

The Best of Everything

This is my list of stuff that is simply the Best in whatever it is they do. Some are great ideas for gifts, some are organizations to support.

Mozilla Firefox is the best web browser out there. Microsoft has more or less abandoned development of IE so Firefox has done a fantastic job keeping up to speed with the development of the web. I use Firefox everyday.
Google Mail Gmail is the best email service out there and it's free. Let me know if you want an invite. I use GMail every day and enjoy teaching others how to use it.
Leatherman Wave's are just outright the best tool to have. I got one strapped to my backpack. The first time I got one was for a month long trip to Honduras and I used every single day of the trip.
VW Golf. If I didn't get so many speeding tickets, I would still own a VW Golf. They are beautiful machines and very smooth at 90 mph.

www.ashoka.org is the most intelligently conceived nonprofit I know. Their whole mission is to find and support the people dedicated to empowering the poor and the oppressed through business and they are are getting results.


Ender's Game is the best work of fiction ever. Forget Shakespeare, or Tolkien, Stephen King. Orson Scott Card is the Man. No other book even comes close.

Is That Really You God? This is the best nonfiction book I read this year, a beautiful example of following God in modern times. I recommend it to everybody. I've already it read several times this year.
A Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh, the best painting. It's just that cool I had to put it on the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netsquared likes Village and I'm in LA now.

On March 13th, Village the Game received a great response from the NetSquared NetTuesday meeting in San Francisco. It's really encouraging to meet so many people who want to help Village succeed. Now I'm off to LA to work with buddies in "the industry" for creating some promo videos for Village the Game. Most recent epiphany I've had: Sharing the vision of Village is a lot more effective in a visual format rather than as a casual conversation at a bar. :) If you're in LA let me know. I'd love to catch up.

Physics Moment: how many zoom levels does the Universe require?

I made a quick table of reference lengths in meters to figure out if I ever made a data visualization tool for the entire universe, how many zoom levels would it have to support? One zoom level is one power of ten.  reference length power is there anything meaningful that's smaller than planck length? planck length 1.62E-35 meters nanometer 1.00E-09 meter 1.00E+00 kilometer 1.00E+03 light year 9.46E+15 meter diameter of known universe 4.40E+26 So the total zoom levels of the Entire Universe are: 61.00 61 zoom levels is way more than Farmville or Warcraft So 61 zoom levels. How do these zoom levels compare to the Big Data Explosion.   reference quantity of data bytes bit 1.25E-01 1 or 0 and that's it. byte 1.00E+00 base unit for most data types in programming languages kb 1.00E+03 Starting number for web optimized images and javascript libraries mb 1.00E+06 Starting number for a song gigabytes GB 1.00E+09 This is base unit of $10 USB sticks terab...