Skip to main content

I Got Fired!

For those of you who don't know already, I got fired! Here's the email I sent out on April 5, the day I got fired:
SUBJECT: Praise Report: I got fired! =)
My boss called me into his office today to let me know that things are
not working out with me at TMA. He said it was obvious that I had
talent but even more obvious that I wasn't motivated to do my work.
Praise God!!

Why am I so thankful? I've known since last year that working at TMA
was going to be my last technical job. I just had know idea when, and
what God was calling me to do. I stayed with the job because I saw it
as an avenue to become financially independent in a few years and then
move onto full-time ministry without having to worry about money. I
didn't know if that was the right thing to do but it made sense. So
I've been wondering for years now when I should go all the way. That
question got answered today.

I'm still trying to justify why I spent the last three years of my
life writing code for defense contractors. I was proving to myself
that I'm not just another young idealist with no bearing on reality;
that I could do a normal 9-5 job if I wanted to; that I could make my
own money if I wanted to. That's been my pattern for years. I spent
college proving that I could work really hard and endure crazy
deadlines and stress. I went to Marine Corps boot camp to prove that
I could endure combat, make life and death decisions and make them
with a clear conscience. I've proved to myself that I could endure
all this stress, monotony, mediocrity, deadlines, traffic,
NullPointerException's, and ugly decision making without cracking,
without going schizo, or bi-polar, or suicidal. I've endured all this
crap, and the only psychiatric label I've managed to acquire is ADD.
Life has sucked for the past several years and I was getting good at
letting it suck. What a stupid goal! For those of you who feel the
need to prove that you can endure a boring passionless existence in
the name of ADULTHOOD or MATURITY or RESPONSIBILITY or INDEPENDENCE:
don't bother. I don't recommend it, because you might actually
succeed. God help you if you do.

I have run out of excuses. So we'll see where God leads me now. Now
that I don't have to convince my boss to give me time off from work, I
am thinking and praying about going to Brazil this summer to help
plant some churches, do some street drama, and teach English. Let me
know if you're interested in going and I'll pass on the info.

Also, if you have any recommendations on how to get fired from the
Marine Corps Reserves, please let me know.

I hope you all had a great Easter this past weekend. Have a great Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netsquared likes Village and I'm in LA now.

On March 13th, Village the Game received a great response from the NetSquared NetTuesday meeting in San Francisco. It's really encouraging to meet so many people who want to help Village succeed. Now I'm off to LA to work with buddies in "the industry" for creating some promo videos for Village the Game. Most recent epiphany I've had: Sharing the vision of Village is a lot more effective in a visual format rather than as a casual conversation at a bar. :) If you're in LA let me know. I'd love to catch up.

Physics Moment: how many zoom levels does the Universe require?

I made a quick table of reference lengths in meters to figure out if I ever made a data visualization tool for the entire universe, how many zoom levels would it have to support? One zoom level is one power of ten.  reference length power is there anything meaningful that's smaller than planck length? planck length 1.62E-35 meters nanometer 1.00E-09 meter 1.00E+00 kilometer 1.00E+03 light year 9.46E+15 meter diameter of known universe 4.40E+26 So the total zoom levels of the Entire Universe are: 61.00 61 zoom levels is way more than Farmville or Warcraft So 61 zoom levels. How do these zoom levels compare to the Big Data Explosion.   reference quantity of data bytes bit 1.25E-01 1 or 0 and that's it. byte 1.00E+00 base unit for most data types in programming languages kb 1.00E+03 Starting number for web optimized images and javascript libraries mb 1.00E+06 Starting number for a song gigabytes GB 1.00E+09 This is base unit of $10 USB sticks terab...